Monday, May 29, 2006

And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda

Memorial Day. Remember the cost of the Iraq War - 2,464 dead and the 17,659 wounded, many grievously so. One of the most heart rending songs I know is "And the Band Played Waltzing Matilda" by Eric Bogle. It tells the story of Australian soldiers at the Battle of Gallipoli in World War I, but it speaks of every war in every time. I defy any person claiming to possess a soul to listen without tears.

They collected the crippled, the wounded and maimed
And they shipped us back home to Australia
The armless, the legless, the blind and insane
All the brave wounded heroes of Suvla.
And when our ship pulled into Circular Quay
And I looked at the place where me legs used to be
I thank Christ there was nobody waiting for me
To grieve and to mourn and to pity.

And the band played "Waltzing Matilda",
As they carried us down the gangway
Nobody cheered, they just stood there and stared
And then turned their faces away

tag:

2 comments:

Groseys messages said...

G'day, great words there in the band played waltzing matilda. We have that played throughout Australia at our Anzac services (= to your memorial day).
Good to see someone found the song,
Steve

Burning2share said...

I prefer the Pogues version of the song.