Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Visible Humanity

[I] had a feeling that your people were somehow connected with my destiny. That what happened to you was connected with what would happen to me. ~ Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man
It is rare that I am filled with awe. I have seen over 13,000 sunsets in my life (allowing for the occasional rainy day), many have been wondrously beautiful. I have seen the Northern Lights; watched evening lightning play off Sierra Nevada peaks. I have seen men walk on the moon, a miracle people half my age can scarcely imagine. Awe is an emotion for younger souls.

The sight of hundreds of thousands of Americans (yes, Americans) marching peacefully in cities across the county was awe inspiring. Politicians and pundits will spend thousands of words trying to spin the immigrant marches of the past few weeks. It was a simple statement of fact. The millions of invisible people living among us are flesh and blood. They have lives and dreams and families. They are a vital part of us, whether we want to accept it or not.

No comments: