Monday, May 11, 2015

Mark Halperin Meets His First Hispanic

Halperin is reason #37 why I don't read Time Magazine.
When I was a very small child I was riding on a bus with my mother when an African-American boarded. It was the first black person I had every seen and, in the kind of loud voice only a small child can get away with, I exclaimed that the person was "very dirty." I don't remember much about the incident except that my mother was deeply embarrassed as she explained to me that he wasn't dirty, his skin was simply a darker color.

Back in the 1990's, a young Michelle Tafoya was the courtside reporter for a CBS broadcast of an NCAA tournament game when the play-by-play announcer became ill. Michelle took over and became the first women to do play-by-play of a men's sporting event. The color announcer was an old, retired coach. What I remember most vividly is that old ex-coach had clearly never been that close to an attractive woman before who wasn't a prostitute. Michelle not only did a great job calling the game, better than the man she had replaced, but she also expertly handled the oafish ex-coach as he forgot about the game and awkwardly obsessed on the fact that Michelle was a "girl."


Those were the thoughts that came to mind when watching Mark Halperin's uncomfortable as fuck interview of Ted Cruz. Halperin ignored politics and obsessed on having Cruz display his bona fides as a Cuban-American. Clearly, Halperin had never spoken to a Hispanic before who wasn't a gardener or maid. The highlight of the interview was when Halperin wanted Cruz to prove himself Hispanic by saying something "en Espanol."

You know you're being stupid when even the Daily Caller can successfully make fun of you.

I'd rather slit my wrists and bleed out on the kitchen floor than vote for Ted Cruz for dog catcher. But not even he deserves an interviewer like Halperin.

No comments: