Saturday, June 18, 2016

Living In Trump's America - Part Five

Cult of Personality
The Rome headquarters of Mussolini's Fascist Party
I'm speaking with myself, number one, because I have a very good brain and I've said a lot of things. I know what I'm doing, and I listen to a lot of people, I talk to a lot of people, and at the appropriate time I'll tell you who the people are. But my primary consultant is myself and I have, you know, a good instinct for this stuff. ~ Donald Trump, March 16, 2016 (responding to the question "who are you consulting with" on foreign policy)
Everyone who runs for president has an inflated ego. It's a job requirement. Trump's ego is inflated to the size of Jupiter. Whereas candidates normally speak as members of a community (us, we, our), an analysis of Trump's speeches reveal that his favorite words are self-referential (I, me, Trump).

It's "I will build a great, great wall." Not we, I. And because he will build it, it will be not just be great but "great great."

It's "I will make America great again." Not, "with your help we" just I, alone as a singular superhuman individual.

In Trump's America, Donald J. Trump is Alpha and Omega, the morning and evening star. He will accomplish mighty deeds all by himself while the rest of us must shut the Hell up and get out of his way.

And if we will our country will be full of sparkling unicorns and we'll get tired of so much winning.

Living In Trump's America - Part One
Living In Trump's America - Part Two  
 

Living In Trump's America - Part Three 
Living In Trump's America - Part Four 

No comments: